TA Orientation Any Time
If you have an upcoming assignment as a teaching assistant at Stanford, TA Orientation Any Time (TAO Any Time) is a self-paced online course introducing you to the fundamentals of effective pedagogy for teaching assistants.
This interactive online course will introduce you to evidence-based frameworks and provide a space for you to apply these frameworks to your own teaching context.
Completing TAO Any Time
TAO Any Time is intended to provide a comprehensive introduction and welcome to being a teaching assistant at Stanford. The Center for Teaching and Learning also holds an in-person TA Orientation. This Canvas course is intended to provide an asynchronous option for those who are unable to attend the in-person event.
Some graduate students at Stanford are required to attend TA Orientation by their departments. To replicate the in-person experience, we recommend that you complete at least three modules and score at least an 80% on the final assessment for each one. Each module should take you about 30 minutes to complete.
You have your choice of which modules to complete in TAO Any Time, including:
- Teaching Practices to Foster Inclusion: Classroom Norms
- Collecting Student Feedback for Inclusion and Equity
- Facilitating Discussions in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Writing to Engage Students
- Office Hours and Review Sessions
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams
- Promoting Mental Health and Well-being in Learning Spaces
- Facilitating Discussions in Science and Engineering