Balancing well-being and engagement during the pandemic
This event is highly recommended for all spring-quarter TAs. It will provide a foundation in evidence-based online teaching practices for new and returning TAs, postdocs, and other members of the campus community. Registered participants will have access to recorded sessions after the event.
Details for online log-in will be provided to registrants before April 3.
Spring Quarter TA Orientation
Friday, April 3, 2020 | 1:00–4:00 PM | Zoom Meetings
Spring Orientation Schedule
1:00–2:00 PM: Opening Session
- Welcome and Logistics
Supporting Mental Health and Well-Being in the Virtual Classroom
Colin Campbell, Program Manager, Health Education, Well Being at Stanford
2:10–3:00 PM: Concurrent Sessions
- Zoom Office Hours and Discussions in Science and Engineering Courses
- Zoom Office Hours and Discussions in Social Science and Humanities Courses
- Introduction to Gradescope
3:10–4:00 PM: Closing Session
- Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know: Presentation and Q&A Session
Fall orientation will be held Friday, September 18, 2020 (8:00am - 12:00pm)
The following handouts are available for your review.
Missed the TA Orientation?
- Advice for International TAs handout
- Digital Engagement Tools
- Getting Started with Canvas handout
- Getting Started with Canvas slides
- Getting Started with Canvas: Instructor Resources
- Getting Started with Canvas: Assessing Assignments and Activities
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams handout
- Holding Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Holding Office Hours and Review Sessions Case Studies
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample section syllabus
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample lesson plan
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- "Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know" [20-min video]
- "Honor Code and Fundamental Standard"
- Environmental Health and Safety - Emergency Preparedness Program
- Office of Accessible Education (OAE)
- Sexual Harrassment Policy Office
- University Policy on Recording and Broadcasting Classes[BC1]
Contact Amanda Modell, Associate Director, Graduate Teaching Programs, for more information at any time. Please also contact Amanda if you need a disability-related accommodation or wheelchair access information.
408 Panama Mall