Each quarter, we host a TA Orientation to help prepare graduate students to teach at Stanford. This event is highly recommended for all new TAs and is also open to returning TAs, postdocs, and other members of the campus community.
Winter Quarter TA Orientation
Friday, January 10, 2020 | 1:00–4:00 PM | Tressider Memorial Union, Oak and Cypress Lounges
Winter Orientation Schedule
12:30–1:00 PM: Check-in and Light Refreshments (Outside Oak West)
1:00–2:00 PM: Opening Session (Oak West)
- Welcome to Teaching at Stanford
- An Effective First Day: Laying a Foundation for You and Your Students
2:10–3:00 PM: Concurrent Sessions 1
- Holding Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering (Oak East)
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences (Cypress South)
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering (Oak West)
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams (Cypress North)
3:10–4:00 PM: Session 2 (Oak West)
- Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know: Presentation and Q&A Session
Spring orientation will be held Friday, April 3, 2020 (1–4 pm)
We do not offer a video-conference option, nor do we record Orientation sessions. This educational program is highly interactive, so a recording or video conferencing option would not adequately replicate the in-person learning experience. We do make the following handouts available for your review.
Missed the TA Orientation?
- Advice for International TAs handout
- Digital Engagement Tools
- Getting Started with Canvas handout
- Getting Started with Canvas slides
- Getting Started with Canvas: Instructor Resources
- Getting Started with Canvas: Assessing Assignments and Activities
- Grading Problem Sets, Labs, and Exams handout
- Holding Office Hours and Review Sessions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- Holding Office Hours and Review Sessions Case Studies
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences handout
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample section syllabus
- Leading Discussions in Humanities and Social Sciences sample lesson plan
- Leading Discussions in Sciences and Engineering handout
- "Major Policies & Practices Every TA Should Know" [20-min video]
- "Honor Code and Fundamental Standard"
- Environmental Health and Safety - Emergency Preparedness Program
- Office of Accessible Education (OAE)
- Sexual Harrassment Policy Office
- University Policy on Recording and Broadcasting Classes[BC1]
Contact Amanda Modell, Associate Director, Graduate Teaching Programs, for more information at any time. Please also contact Amanda if you need a disability-related accommodation or wheelchair access information.
408 Panama Mall